Statement of Faith
STATEMENT OF FAITH
Knox Theological Seminary is in the tradition of the Reformation and that theological heritage is reflected in the teaching and the faculty of the Seminary. Faculty and staff must affirm the Statement of Faith below, in addition to the historical creeds of the Church.
- The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments (excluding those books commonly called the Apocrypha) are the only inspired, infallible, and authoritative Word of God.
- There is only one God, eternally existent in three Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- Our Lord Jesus Christ is God and man in one person. He was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, performed miracles, and vicariously atoned for sin through his shed blood and death. He was bodily resurrected from the dead. He ascended to the right hand of God the Father and will personally return in power and glory.
- Regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for the salvation of lost and sinful man.
- God justifies the sinner on the basis of Christ’s righteousness alone, which is imputed to him by grace alone and which is received by faith alone.
- Eternal life is received by faith, that is, by trusting in Jesus Christ alone for salvation.
- The Holy Spirit indwells all true believers and enables them to live godly lives.
- Both the saved and the lost will be resurrected from the dead, they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- There is spiritual unity of all true believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Knox students come from a wide range of theological backgrounds, but are expected to affirm The Apostles’ Creed:
I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth. And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic (universal) Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. AMEN.