Information for Doctor of Ministry International Students | Knox Theological Seminary

Information for Doctor of Ministry International Students

Knox Seminary is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students into the Doctor of Ministry program. In order to enter the country, the US Government requires a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) to obtain a student (F-1) visa. This I-20 document cannot be issued until the student has been admitted to Knox and has met the language and financial requirements to our satisfaction. This I-20 document is required for any student who will be in class for more than 18 hours a week and takes a course for credit, even if that course takes place in a week-long intensive format.

The procedure for obtaining an I-20 document from Knox is:

  1. Complete all of the requirements for acceptance to Knox as an international student
    1. Full application (completed online)
    2. Three references (Pastoral, Academic, Personal)
    3. Transcripts – evaluated through World Education Services (
    4. TOEFL scores sent to Knox (if applicable)
  2. Submit the Financial Information for International Students form to Knox
  3. Provide evidence of financial support
    1. Send an original Bank Letter of Deposit indicating the exact U.S. dollar amount available to you for the time you will be traveling in the States. The letter must be in English, contain NO alterations, and be dated no earlier than six months from the date you wish to begin study.
    2. Original affidavit letter of support and a Bank Letter of Deposit from any individual or organization providing support (dated no earlier than six months from the date you wish to begin your studies).
      – You are likely to need this documentation to prove to the U.S. Consular Officials and U.S. Immigration that you have sufficient funds. We suggest that you request two originals of all documents (send one to Knox and keep one for your use).

Upon review of the completed Statement of Financial Resources and supporting documents we will mail you the 1-20 form.

You will need to take the following documents to the local consulate:

  1. Valid passport for yourself, and if applicable, your spouse and your dependents.
  2. 1-20 form from Knox Seminary.
  3. Proof of language proficiency.
  4. Verification of financial support.
  5. Your acceptance letter from Knox Seminary.

You may be required to demonstrate that you have comprehensive health and accident insurance for
yourself and your family. We recommend that you obtain insurance coverage that will cover you during
your trip and your time in the United States. You should check with your local consulate before you go,
to see if there are any additional documents they will need you to provide.

Learn More About Our Degree Programs

 First Name*
 Last Name*
 Highest level of education completed?*
 Program of Interest*

Study In The States