Master of Divinity Degree Program
The Master of Divinity is a professional degree that prepares students for pastoral ministry. We seek to shape the whole person to communicate the Gospel of Jesus Christ and demonstrate its implications in everyday life. Knox believes that in order for pastors and church leaders to effectively declare and demonstrate the Gospel of Jesus Christ, they must be biblically-saturated, theologically-discerning, historically-rooted, and contextually-sensitive Christians. To that end, the curriculum focuses on biblical, theological, historical, and practical ministry studies, including a field-based ministry internship.
Academic Requirements Unique to Mdiv
Because Knox seeks to serve the church, we desire to partner with particular churches and church leaders in the education of future leaders. Toward this end, all incoming Knox M.Div. students are required to name a Pastor/Church Mentor who will help guide the student through seminary in preparation for ministry. We ask that the Pastor/Church Mentor consent to this role with knowledge of Knox’s program and be able to interact with the student and give feedback to Knox about the student’s spiritual development. (*There is allowance for a student to change the Pastor/Church Mentor during the program for circumstance such as relocation).
A limited number of applicants who do not hold a bachelor’s degree may be admitted to the Master of Divinity program. In such cases, which are rare, the Seminary will evaluate the applicant’s life experience and academic abilities to ensure adequate preparation for graduate study.
A graduate of the MDiv program will:
- Articulate the Gospel message of salvation by grace through faith in Christ alone.
- Explain the inspiration and authority of all of the scripture and its relationship to the Gospel.
- Articulate the relationship of the gospel to sanctification in the life of the believer.
- Demonstrate the relationship of biblical studies, systematic theology, and historical theology in articulating a thoughtful and coherent theological framework.
- Properly interpret the scriptures, articulating the importance of knowledge of the original languages of scripture and an informed hermeneutical method.
- Faithfully relate the Gospel to their culture and context.
- Effectively communicate the Gospel through the spoken word.
- Properly handle the scriptures through careful exegesis in the original languages.
- Demonstrate how foundational experiences in pastoral ministry related to church governance, pastoral care and counseling, and the administration of the sacraments inform ministry.
BIBLICAL LANGUAGES 15 CREDIT HOURS
|NT512 New Testament Greek 1||3 Credit Hours|
|NT514 New Testament Greek 2||3 Credit Hours|
|NT702 Advanced Biblical Exegesis||3 Credit Hours|
|OT612 Old Testament Hebrew 1||3 Credit Hours|
|OT614 Old Testament Hebrew 2||3 Credit Hours|
BIBLICAL STUDIES 15 CREDIT HOURS
|NT502 New Testament Survey 1 – Gospels and Acts||3 Credit Hours|
|NT504 New Testament Survey 2 – Epistles and Revelation||3 Credit Hours|
|NT712 Biblical Hermeneutics||3 Credit Hours|
|OT602 Old Testament Survey 1||3 Credit Hours|
|OT604 Old Testament Survey 2||3 Credit Hours|
THEOLOGICAL STUDIES 12 CREDIT HOURS
|ST506 Systematic THeology 1 – God and Creation||3 Credit Hours|
|ST602 Systematic Theology 2 – Christ and the Church||3 Credit Hours|
|ST604 Systematic Theology 3 – Salvation and Eschatology||3 Credit Hours|
|ST608 Ethics||3 Credit Hours|
HISTORICAL STUDIES 6 CREDIT HOURS
|CH502 History of Christianity 1 – Ancient and Medieval Church History||3 Credit Hours|
|CH504 History of Christianity 2 – Reformation to Modern Era||3 Credit Hours|
PASTORAL STUDIES21 CREDIT HOURS
|AT502 Introduction to Homiletics||3 Credit Hours|
|AT602 Preaching Practicum 1||1 Credit Hours|
|AT604 Preaching Practicum 2||1 Credit Hours|
|AT608 Ministry and the Church||3 Credit Hours|
|AT702 Preaching Practicum 3||1 Credit Hours|
|AT704 Worship||3 Credit Hours|
|AT706 Supervised Ministry Internship||3 Credit Hours|
|AT754 Integrative Project||3 Credit Hours|
|ME702 The Missional Church||3 Credit Hours|