STATEMENT OF EDUCATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS
EFFECTIVENESS OF STUDENT LEARNING
Knox Theological Seminary is committed to effectively educating men and women to declare and demonstrate the Gospel of Jesus Christ in any number of ministry capacities. Knox has current students and alumni around the world, serving the Kingdom of God in vocational and non-vocational ministry work, serving as pastors, teachers, pilots, lawyers, writers, scholars, church planters, and any number of other ministry capacities.
GOALS OF STUDENT LEARNING
Assessment of student learning outcomes at Knox Theological Seminary is an administration and faculty-driven process that is regular and ongoing. Together, Knox faculty and administration annually review and analyze key quantitative and qualitative data, measuring them in relation to the mission of the school, the learning outcomes of each degree program, and the success of our graduates.
Knox educational goals exist on multiple levels and are linked and organized systematically from institutional mission to specific degree programs and courses. From the core educational goals articulated in the institutional mission statement are derived the general learning outcomes for all alumni in any course of study as well as those specific to each degree program. Under these are the course-level objectives.
ASSESSMENT OF STUDENT LEARNING
Data from our alumni are a central, representative aspect of gauging the effectiveness of this model. Knox faculty and administration survey annually the alumni from the graduating class 5 years prior and assess the resulting qualitative and quantitative data relating to employment and the Seminary’s ability to prepare students for work/ministry. The following data summarizes the most recent information received from Alumni Questionnaires distributed to the graduating classes of 2011. Class of 2012 AQ data is pending.
75% are currently working in a congregation; 8% are serving in missions; 17% are employed in non-ministry fields of work
Of those who pursued a ministry position upon graduation 60% had found employment at the time of graduation, while the remaining 40% found their first paid position within 6 months of graduation (total 100%)
100% of respondents currently serving in a congregation said their Knox Theological Seminary education prepared them “very well” or “very well in some areas but not in others” for their current work.
When asked if they had it to do all over again would they choose Knox Seminary, a strong majority of alumni answered “definitely yes” or “probably yes” (71.4%)
The majority of MDiv alumni respondents (80%) are ordained or have equivalent status.
Another central component by which Knox measures its educational effectiveness for those going on to vocational ministry is the feedback obtained from their current ministry supervisors. In order to have an adequate number of responses, Knox collects data from Alumni Ministry Supervisor Questionnaires over the course of three years. The following information summarizes the data provided by ministry supervisors for alumni from Knox classes 2009-2011.
Knox graduates minister in a variety of community settings (approximately 30% small town, 30% suburban, and 40% urban)
All respondents agree that Knox Seminary graduates use their skills and talents sufficiently in ministry
All respondents stated they definitely or probably would consider job applicants from Knox Seminary in the future